Application for Summer of Code 2008: Christian J. Wong Cruz
A wiki is software that allows users to collaboratively create, edit, link, and organize the content of a website, usually for reference material and it could also be used for generating new information.
With this project, I will introduce some features to make MediaWiki more research-friendly. These include Latex-2-Wiki and Bibtex-2-Wiki converters in order to import research papers and others latex documents into MW, but also improvements for exporting a Wiki-page into Latex files.
I would divide this project into three tasks to complete:
- Add properties into the Wiki pages and write a Bibtex-2-Wiki converter for adding bibtex information to the page.
- Adapt the …Latex-2-Wiki… converter to this proposal.
- Write a Wiki-2-Latex converter for exporting documents.
The first task would complement some Wiki pages with their Bibtex information; this information will be implemented as …SemanticWiki… does with its properties (bibtex-properties in this case) and will be stored in a new table for the database. The Bibtex information could be added in the ”Edit Page” or imported from a bibtex file. I will implement a Bibtex-2-Wiki parser and the necessary script for supporting bibtex-properties.
The second task will allow importing research papers from the latex source to MW. I will use the …current Latex-2-Wiki… converter to parse the source file.
Finally, the last task will be write a wiki-2-Latex parser in order to export a Wiki Page into a Latex document. This exported document could be a research paper, a thesis or any other latex document. With this new feature, MW users will be able to export latex documents with the correct use of the bibtex references (referenced Wiki Pages with bibtex information will be added in the bibliography). Another important think to consider in this task is the use of latex styles, the user could configure some options before export a Wiki Page in order to get a latex source compatible with the latex style preferred by the user.
Profit for Wikimedia
- Give to MediaWiki the capability of generate new information from the existing and stored information to MediaWiki users.
- Support to researchers in the writing process, allowing them pay more attention in the content and leave the references management to MW. (Another reason for sharing information in MediaWiki!)
- Wiki Pages could be exported to latex documents with fully support to latex styles.
Create the tasks described above. The functionality has to work with the main latex documents’ styles.
- Publish my goals to the MediaWiki Ideas Page and try to get some feedback and suggestions on my plans. Know my mentors, read documentation, get up to speed to begin working on my project. (until end of May)
- Implement all tasks in the order they are specified above. I will try to implement things so that they can be used despite they are not completely finished. (until beginning July)
- Test all features. This will begin as soon as one component is finished and should be completed by the mid of August.
I am a last year undergraduated student in Computer Science at San Agustín National University (Arequipa, Perú).
As part of my course work I have developed latex parsers, SQL parsers, fuzzy SQL parsers and a Jay parser (Jay is a subset of the C programming language), and currently I am developing a wiki-based parser for web sites content.
As a last year undergraduated student I am writing my thesis project, for that reason I am using a MediaWiki copy installed in my computer and I have realized that this project could be helpful in this process.
I’ve participated in two ICPC-ACM contest (2007-2008) representing my University and I am familiar with PHP programming language, also with WM source code and its database structure.
For all above reasons I think that I will succeed in providing the mentioned features for MediaWiki.